Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hammered by Elizabeth Bear

Once Jenny Casey was somebody's daughter. Once she was somebody's enemy. Now the former Canadian special forces warrior lives on the hellish streets of Hartford, Connecticut, in the year 2062. Racked with pain, hiding from the government she served, running with a crime lord so she can save a life or two, Jenny is a month shy of fifty, and her artificially reconstructed body has started to unravel. But she is far from forgotten. A government scientist needs the perfect subject for a high-stakes project and has Jenny in his sights. Suddenly Jenny Casey is a pawn in a furious battle, waged in the corridors of the Internet, on the streets of battered cities, and in the complex wiring of her half-man-made nervous system. And she needs to gain control of the game before a brave new future spins completely out of control.

I used to read a lot more science fiction books than I do now. I'm not sure why I don't read as many, but it seems that in the past couple of years, I tend to prefer fantasy of science fiction. That being said, I loved this book! It was a little confusing at first, trying to figure out what was going on, but after about 20 pages, I was hooked.

This is one of those books that I stayed up until after midnight reading, and there are not many books like that I find anymore. I really cared about the characters in this book, the plot was fast-paced and interesting, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. But that brings me to the one downfall of this book. The ending was very abrupt, and there was really no conclusion whatsoever. But that's okay! Because there's another book already written that I just have to check out from the library.

No comments: