Friday, September 11, 2009

REVIEW - French Milk

French Milk is about a 23 year old woman who travels with her mother to live in Paris for a month or so. It's a memoir, told through drawings (graphic novel type) and photographs of their time there. I really expected to like this book a lot more than I did, because I love Paris so much.

I thought the format for this book was excellent. Written in normal memoir style, I don't think it would have held my attention at all. The drawings were fun. I just didn't feel much joy coming from the author. There seemed to be a lot of complaining and depression. I understand that the author was just portraying how she felt at the time, but it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Off book topic aside: One particular part of the book where she and her mom were in a laundromat reminded me of when Troy and I were in Paris. We went to a laundromat, because we only packed enough clothes for about a week (and we were in Europe for two). We couldn't figure out how to work the machines, or what we were doing, but luckily there was a nice French couple there who spoke English and helped us. People say that Europeans are so rude to Americans, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. I'm sure there are rude ones, but there are rude people everywhere.

But back to the book; it was a quick read and was interesting enough, but I definitely didn't love it. I would probably rate it a 3/5 and I'm not sure that it would be one I would recommend.

No comments: