Tuesday, September 29, 2009

REVIEW - Undead and Unwelcome


Title: Undead and Unwelcome
Author: MaryJanice Davidson
Genre: Paranormal Chicklit
Grade: C-

From the back cover:
Fifty thousand angry werewolves.  That's what Betsy is facing when she takes her werewolf friend Antonia's body to Cape Cod, where the Pack resides at Wyndham Manor.  Because Antonia died in her service, Betsy is alive and well--and wracked with guilt.  She has no idea if the Wyndham werewolves will greet her with fangs or friendship.

While Betsy and her husband, Sinclair, try to make nice, their legal ward, BabyJon, freaks out ever werewolf he meets.  Meanwhile, Betsy's posse back at the St. Paul mansion is not LOLing.  Increasingly frantic e-mails alert Betsy to her half sister's increasingly erratic behavior.  Looks like the devil's daughter is coming into her own--and raising hell.  All in the name of making Betsy's life easier, of course.

My review:
I don't know if I can continue reading this series.  The author tries to be funny, and I guess it's just not my kind of humor, because it comes of more annoying than funny.  And the main character, Betsy, seems to get more clueless and self-centered by the book.  I don't really care about her as a character, and I find that I don't really care about any of the characters.  They're not written in a way that you can become attached to them.

A lot of it may have to do with the first person narrative.  I've never cared for it.  I almost always find the character whiny, selfish, and unlikeable.  It makes it hard for me to get into the story.  For about half of the book, I contemplated giving up or heavily skimming.  But then it got fairly interesting, and since it's a short book with big words, I just kept on reading and finished it.  I wouldn't recommend this unless you're hooked on this series, or unless you're a glutton for punishment.

No comments: