Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Challenge: Books to Read Before I Die


The Books to Read Before I Die challenge is being hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea.  The goal of the challenge is to read 10-20 books in 2010 that are on your "read before I die" list.  For the Fall challenge I'm participating in, I'm doing a lot of light reading.  So I initially thought for this challenge that I would read a classic every month, and then I decided I didn't want to.

So, I do want to read heftier books, but I'm going to go for those doorstopper fantasies that are on my TBR list that I haven't gotten to yet.  Because I really do want to get to them before I die.  I want to get to them more than I want to get to a bunch of books that are classics only because they were written so long ago (and they're probably really good, but that's beside the point).  I'll try to do 12--one each month.  So, here's my list:

1.  Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb
2. Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
4. The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams
5. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
6. Moonheart by Charles de Lint
7. A Time of Exile by Katharine Kerr
8. Dune by Frank Herbert
9. A Secret History by Mary Gentle
10. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
11. The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
12. A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin  (Listen, George, enough is enough.  I'm putting my faith in you finishing this book by putting it on my list for 2010.  That means you have all the way until next December to get your book published.  This waiting business isn't funny anymore.)

5 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Brenda....Thanks so much for joining in on the 2010 challenge. Have fun too! Great list!

Kim said...

I'm going to participate in this great challenge -- trying to decide on the books. I don't recognize one book on your list. It will be fun to see different lists.

Brenda said...

Kim, all of these books are fantasies. Some are a little more well known, but I think unless you read a lot of fantasy, the fantasy titles don't get talked about as much.

bloggeratf said...

That is a pretty good list.... I think I heave read almost everything on it :P I guess I am ready to die!

Dana said...

I am still trying to decide what to put on my list. Good luck with your list!