Thursday, October 1, 2009

REVIEW - Take Your Best Shot


Title: Take Your Best Shot
Author: Austin Gutwein (with Todd Hilliard)  Hoops of Hope
Genre: YA non-fiction
Grade: A

Synopsis:
This book is about Austin, a boy who, at nine years old, decided he wanted to make a difference.  When he watched a World Vision video about a girl named Maggie who was orphaned by AIDS, he decided to start Hoops of Hope; an organization where individuals earn money by getting sponsored for shooting free-throw shots.  This is his story.

My Review:
Take Your Best Shot was definitely geared towards the younger generation.  The author often talks directly to them, telling them that although they are young, they can make a difference.  That didn't dampen my enjoyment of the book at all.  I was touched and inspired.  The author talks about finding your passion and then working on a vision for helping make the world better, and after reading this book, that's something that I will be praying about.  There is a lot of scripture throughout the book, which was great, and I think this is exactly the kind of book kids need to read.  I would recommend it for anyone of any age.  Kids and teenagers especially!

2 comments:

Kim said...

There is a shortage of inspirational reading for YA that encourages selflessness and service. Sounds great.

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I have Take Your Best Shot on its way to me fro review. It was to see it here on your blog and to read about your thoughts on it.