Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wicked Lovely

Title: Wicked Lovely
Author: Melissa Marr
Genre: YA Fantasy
Got it from: library
Why I read it: sounded good
Grade: A

Synopsis:
High school junior Aislinn and her grandmother have followed strict rules all their lives to hide their ability to see faeries because faeries don't like it when mortals can see them, and faeries can be very cruel. Only the strongest faeries can withstand iron, however, so Aislinn prefers the city with its steel girders and bridges. She takes refuge with Seth, her would-be lover, who lives in a set of old train carriages.
But now Aislinn is being stalked by two of the faeries who are able to take on human form and are not deterred by steel. What do they want from her?


My review:
Now this is a YA romance I can get behind.  Except that I wouldn't recommend it for young adults at all.  In fact, besides the main character being in high school, I can't see what's young adult about this novel.  If I could tell authors anything, it would be that just because your character is a young adult, doesn't mean the book has to be marketed as young adult.  I don't know, maybe I'm just a prude, but I think some things should stay out of YA books.  But back to the romance.  I really felt the connection between Aislinn and Seth.  It wasn't stalkery and scary, and it did make me want to give my husband some love.

As I read this book, I wasn't sure I loved it.  I did like it--I thought it was interesting and well written, but there was something holding me back.  I didn't care at all for the character Keenan (a fairy who is the summer king), and I felt like I was supposed to.  He just didn't seem a likeable character, especially compared to Seth.  But as the book progressed, I realized it's okay if I didn't like him.  I don't have to always like every character, whether I'm supposed to or not.

I'm not sure what it was about this book that made me really like it.  I don't seem to like most of the YA fantasy romances that are out there right now, but there was something different about this one, for me.  Something highly enjoyable about it.  I would recommend this one, but possibly reservedly.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I agree I have to want to read fantasy or i€ will just not want to read it.
One book that I thought I would share is a book called Sea Clearwater by Selene Cardenas.
I liked it even more because she wrote this when she was only 13 years old. It also delivers a great message, regardless of where you’re from, don’t be afraid to take a stand and make a difference. I think if you read between the lines we can all learn from this book.
sorry had to share!!