Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fade


Title: Fade
Author: Lisa McMann
Genre: YA Fiction
Got it from: Library
Why I read it: Second in a series
Grade: B

Synopsis:
For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.
Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.
Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability -- and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared....


My review:
I didn't like this quite as well as the first book.  The story was good, but something failed to connect with me.  I also was annoyed with the partial sentences on separate lines.  Like this:
She woke up.
And found a cookie.
Then ate it.
It was worse at the beginning, and then either it stopped, or I didn't notice it anymore, but it was bad enough to take me out of the story when I did notice it.  This is also one of the most depressing books I've ever read.  It almost seems hopeless, although the author does give the reader a small ray of hope at the end.  I will continue on with the series, but I really hope something happy happens, even if it doesn't necessarily have a happy ending.

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I've been waiting for the last one to come out to read these. Really looking forward to finally seeing what all the fuss is about. Sorry you didn't like this one quite as much as the first one.

Anonymous said...

Bummer! Hate when that connection isn't there for me. I felt totally the opposite. Looking forward to the last book.

Angiegirl said...

Hi Brenda! I love your header image! Great quote. I felt the same way about this book. LOVED Wake and then this one just didn't quite live up to it. I have hopes for the third book but am nervous it's going to be awfully bleak...