Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wake

Title: Wake
Author: Lisa McMann
Genre: YA Fiction
Got it from: Library
Why I read it: Sounded interesting
Grade: A

Synopsis:
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.



My review:
This is one of those books that I wish would have been longer.  It was way too short.  At only a little over 200 pages, I think this may be the shortest book I've read in a really long while.  But now that my complaint about the length is out of the way, I can talk about how much I enjoyed this book.  

I thought the plot was interesting and different.  I thought the characters were, for the most part, true to how teens would act.  I admit, when I first started reading, and found that it was written in present time, i.e. "Janie walks into her bedroom and sees a naked man in her bed" (this is not an actual line in the book, I just want to see if anyone is paying attention), I was a little worried I wouldn't like it.  I can't recall any other books I've read that were written in present tense, and it seems to be something I wouldn't like.  But I shouldn't have worried.  I think it worked really well with this story.

I would recommend this book to fans of YA fiction.  And even if you end up hating it (which means we have really different book tastes), it'll only take you a couple of hours to read.

No comments: