Monday, September 21, 2009

REVIEW - Let Them Eat Fruitcake


Let Them Eat Fruitcake is the second book in the 86 Bloomberg Place series.  I have come to the realization that these books move incredibly slow.  It could be because each chapter skips to a different character, but every time I try to think of what the book about, only about one sentence comes to mind, and I think, "Is that it?"  This one takes place just before Christmas, with the end of the book wrapping up on Christmas day.  The roommates plan a Christmas Even party, have man troubles, and . . . that's about it.  But I guess just about every chicklit could be described as "woman has man troubles, everything is solved in the end."

Only everything isn't solved in the end of this book since it's a series.  So we only get the first part of that sentence.  The characters are all pretty much the same.  Kendall is unlikeable, almost to the point of being an unbelievable character.  I mean, are there really people like that out there?  Ironically, her point of view is probably my favorite to read, just because it's the most interesting.  The other girls really aren't doing very interesting things.

All through this book I thought it was just so-so.  Nothing special, but not so bad that it was hard to get through.  I would have rated it a 3, but I really enjoyed the ending.  It was definitely a feel good, and I can see the series getting better type ending.  So I'd rate it a 4/5.  Recommended for chick-lit lovers and Christian fiction readers.  It was a little heavier on the religion than the first one, but still not overly so.

No comments: