Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Marvels

Title: Marvels
Author: Kurt Busiek
Genre: Graphic Novel
Page Count: 248
Why I read it: graphic novel challenge
Grade: C+

Synopsis:
Welcome to New York. Here, burning figures roam the streets, men in brightly colored costumes scale the glass and concrete walls, and creatures from space threaten to devour our world. This is the Marvel Universe, where the ordinary and fantastic interact daily. This is the world of MARVELS. Collecting MARVELS #0-4.
35 years of glorious superheroes and terrifying super-disasters, told from the perspective of Phil Sheldon, a newspaper photographer who's experienced "the marvels" from ground level.

My review:
Let me start off by saying that I love Marvel comics.  But I didn't love this graphic novel.  I think, for me, the problem was that it wasn't really about the superheroes (which is what I love about Marvel), but it was about the people reacting to the superheroes.  And to be honest, the people weren't likeable at all.  In fact, I kinda hated them.   I guess I don't really want to see what it's like for the people who live with superheroes.  I much prefer the point of view of the superheroes themselves.

The artwork was fantastic, though.  I absolutely loved it.  The writing was also good, it was just the story itself that I didn't really care for.  I think I would recommend this to fans of comics, especially Marvel fans.  Not everyone is as big of a superhero nut as I am.  Some people might like everyday people, too.  :)

This is read #1 of 10+ for the graphic novel challenge.

No comments: