Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dull Boy

Title: Dull Boy
Author: Sarah Cross
Genre: YA science fiction
Page Count: 308
Why I read it: looked good
Grade: B+

Synopsis:
What do you do if you can deadlift a car, and you spend your nights flying to get away from it all? If you’re fifteen-year-old Avery Pirzwick, you keep that information to yourself. When you’re a former jock turned freak, you can’t afford to let the secret slip.
But then Avery makes some friends who are as extraordinary as he is. He realizes they’re more than just freaks—together, maybe they have a chance to be heroes. First, though, they have to decide whether to trust the mysterious Cherchette, a powerful would be mentor whose remarkable generosity may come at a terrible price.


My review:
Anyone who has read my blog for any length of time knows that I really love superheroes.  So it should come as no surprise that I really enjoyed this book.  It seemed to get off to a bit of a slow start, but for the most part it was just really fun.  There honestly wasn't a whole lot going on in this book.  It makes it hard to review a little bit.

The characters were likeable enough, even though I couldn't really relate to any of them.  I would like to have superpowers, but sadly I don't.  I think it would have been interesting to have some other POV's besides just Avery's.  With some of the characters, I just couldn't quite figure out their motivations.

I would probably recommend this book to YA readers.  It's a fast, fun read that will keep you entertained for a few hours.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This is one of those fun books that you just have to grin at each and every character.