Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ultimatum X-Men/Fantastic Four

Title: Ultimatum X-Men/Fantastic Four
Author: Aron E. Coleite & Joe Pokaski
Genre: Graphic Novel
Page Count: 152
Why I read it: graphic novel challenge
Grade: C

Synopsis:
The unthinkable has happened as the X-Men find themselves reeling from the devastating events of Ultimatum. A band of humans have stolen Sentinel technology and attacked Xavier's mansion - killing any mutant they see! With the X-Men locked in battle with Magneto, can anyone save these students? Their greatest hope might rest in the hands of their worst enemy as the Weapon X program returns! Also, Ultimatum has hit the planet hard and the Baxter Building was ground zero. Johnny is still missing. Dr. Storm is dead. And Reed has taken off to parts unknown. Sue's life hangs in the balance and rests in the hands of untested pilot Ben Grimm, a.k.a. The Thing, and Dr. Arthur Molekevic, now better known as the megalamonical Mole Man. Collects Ultimate X-Men #98-100, and Ultimate Fantastic Four #58-60.

My review:
I really liked the X-Men portion of this graphic novel, but I could take or leave the Fantastic Four half.  I'm more familiar with the X-Men world, and although I like the Fantastic Four, their part of the story just didn't really grab me.

Although I did feel a bit lost during the X-Men portion.  I think this is much further into the story line than I've gotten in my reading, so there were things that were referred to that I'd never read about.  That's what happens when my library doesn't carry all the graphic novels I want to read. 

The artwork in the whole book was great, though.  Beautiful colors, and just my style.  I would only recommend this for those who have read at least parts of these series already, otherwise I don't think you'd like it.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Haven't kept up with the series, so I will skip.
And at least your library has graphic novels!

Brenda said...

That's true, Alex. I'm glad they have as many as they have. I know it could be worse. It's just hard when I'm trying to catch up on a series, and they don't have all of them. I get lost!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, it's tough to pick up in the middle of a comic book series. Be like trying to understand Lost starting with season five.

And thank you for following my blog!