Friday, May 28, 2010

The Emerald Talisman

Title: The Emerald Talisman
Author: Brenda Pandos
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Page Count: 280
Why I read it: ARC Tour
Grade: C

Synopsis:
To be normal, sixteen-year-old Julia Parker would shed her empathic gift in a second. Life has been difficult since her mother's mysterious disappearance ten years earlier - an event she witnessed, but can't remember. Julia's situation becomes more complicated after a near death experience from a blood thirsty stalker. As high school students go missing it is clear there is a connection to her own experience--past and present. Someone has to stop the madness and a chance encounter with a creepy psychic foretells that only Julia is the key to stopping the madness, but it may require the life of the one she loves.

My review:
This book and I just didn't click. I'm not sure if it's the writing style or what, but I had a bit of a hard time getting into this one. With that said, I can tell that this will appeal to fans of Twilight (another one that didn't quite work for me). The writing style seems to be very similar, and some other things as well.

The style is very descriptive, and I would say very internal as well. Since it was written in first person narrative, we really got to know the main character. We really didn't get to know the secondary characters very well, but that's to be expected as this story was very much about Julia, and also her relationship with Nicholas.

Even though this book wasn't quite my style, I believe many fans of YA fiction, and especially vampire YA will enjoy this one.

No comments: