Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No and Me

Title: No and Me
Author: Delphine de Vigan
Genre: YA Fiction (translated from French)
Page Count: 256
Why I read it: ARC Tour
Grade: C

Synopsis:
At thirteen-years-old, with an unusually high IQ and a knack for observing things about other people, Lou Bertignac is not only the youngest in her class at school; she is also the most unusual. Painfully shy, she has few friends, save for Lucas, whose company helps her get through each day. At home, Lou's life is also difficult: Her mother hasn't left the house in years and her father spends his days crying in the bathroom. Lou's world is dark and sad... That is, until she meets No.

No is a teenage girl that Lou befriends for the purpose of her school project on homelessness. Despite the different worlds that these two girls come from, a friendship is soon forged between them. Unable to bear the thought of No not having a home or a family to keep her safe, Lou persuades her reluctant parents into letting her new friend stay with the Bertignac family. No's addition to the household forces Lou and her parents to face the sadness that has been enveloping them for so long — but not without some disruptions along the way.

My review:
I'm not sure what to say about this one. I liked the idea for the story, but it felt a little rushed and underdeveloped. I couldn't really figure out the main characters motivations, and had no idea what was going on inside any of the other characters heads.

This was a pretty quick read, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend it. It was very depressing, although I think it was supposed to come across as hopeful. Or maybe it was supposed to be depressing. I'm not quite sure what the author was going for here.

No comments: