Thursday, July 1, 2010

Skinny is Overrated

Title: Skinny is Overrated
Author: Danielle Milano, MD
Genre: nonfiction/self-help
Page Count: 256
Why I read it: received review copy
Grade: C+

Synopsis:
Skinny Is Overrated is a guide to health and happiness for women of any size who are tired of dieting. Writing in a conversational and often humorous style, and backed by scientific research, Dr. Danielle Milano teaches us to make healthier food choices. She emphasizes the importance of exercise, assuring the reader that it isn't necessary to be a size two! With helpful, easy recipes and common sense advice, Dr. Milano's guidelines for simple lifestyle changes will help you lose weight, gain energy, and become a healthier, more confident you-as you were meant to be.

My review:
There was a lot of good information here. Milano tells us what food choices are good and what are bad, but what's good here is that she tells us why in detail. Her writing style is very easy to read, and I found it to be a very quick read for a health type book, which usually seem slow, and I can only read a little bit at a time.

The downside to this one was that there was some inconsistency, which I've found quite common in books about nutrition and fitness. She would say one thing, and then a few pages or a chapter later, say the complete opposite. The other thing is that I found her food recommendations to be a little unrealistic, at least for me. To eat the way she suggests would be pretty expensive, time consuming, and would make my kids hate me--three things that would almost guarantee failure for me.

Still, there are some good ideas here that I will incorporate into our diets. She advocates getting exercise every day, no matter what level you're at. If you're new to it, start small and work your way up. Just do something. It's all good advice. I would recommend this if you're looking for an easy, quick read, but with the caveat to take the information that works for you, and leave the rest.

No comments: